Sunday, March 9, 2014

023 - Sprite Mayonnaise Shrimp (Because WHY NOT?)

First of all, I would like to apologize for lack of update last week.

I was out traveling to Singapore to catch my favorite band Taking Back Sunday LIVE! The experience was any less than exhilarating! Not only did I get to sang my favorite song along, I also got to meet Adam Lazzara personally (totally by accident, I tell you), and the whole band few moments afterwards! 

I told them how disappointed I am about that proposed Jakarta show in 2010 that got cancelled, and how lucky I am to be able to see them live that day. If you love music, please please please, check out Taking Back Sunday newest album (it’s coming out on March 18th), here’s a video of their latest single, ‘Flicker, Fade’



Anyway, Singapore has the biggest Kinokuniya bookstore in all of SE Asia. And I didn’t miss my chance to scoop up some new readings. I read through some interesting cooking books, and got several quirky ideas for a new recipe.

This week recipe is a crowd favorite at Chinese Restaurant here in Jakarta. But as always, this is my take on the recipe. Please give a warm welcome to…..

SPRITE BATTERED SHRIMP WITH MAYONNAISE!

This might just be the craziest idea I’ve put up in a while, but why not??

Here’s everything you need, be noted, not everything is pictured here:



10 medium sized Shrimp. Always get your shrimps fresh. Deshell them, make a split on the back and remove the black vein.
Enough flour for dusting
Enough cooking oil for frying

For the Batter:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup ice cold Sprite. If you don’t want to use Sprite, switch it to sparkling soda water instead. The cold and the fizz will help the batter to crisp up nicely!
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp of Garlic powder
Pinch of Salt

For the sauce:
4 tbsp of Mayonnaise. I like Japanese mayo the best, but I currently have Korean Mayonnaise, and it’s not that much of a difference, so I’m using that.
4 tbsp of sweet condensed milk. YES, I know what you’re thinking. How in the world this sweet and sticky concoction can help the recipe? Well, they just do.
2 tsp of Lemon Juice. Acid will cut the overwhelming taste, trust me.

So, ready to shake off some bad memories about your ex and whip up a killer dish?

I say it again.

Ready? Here We Go

Step 1 – Clean your shrimp and pat it dry. Set aside to let it come to room temperature
Lay the shrimp evenly
Gently squeeze
Dried and ready to go
Step 2 – Prepare the batter. Get a bowl; pour your flour, garlic powder, beaten eggs. Mix it a bit, and pour your Sprite adding little by little. This will help prevent lumps. Oh yes, the Sprite HAS to be ice cold! Set the batter aside. Oh, and if by any chance the batter seems too thin, add a bit of flour to thicken it, or, cornstarch for that crispy bite!

Flour

Beaten Egg
Garlic Powder
Pinch of Salt
SPRITE!
Mix

Step 3 – Heat your cooking oil on medium high heat, and assemble a line of flour-batter-oil. The shrimp will go the flour for dusting first, or else the batter wouldn’t stick. Then it goes to the batter, and then, BOOM, hot oil. Fry for 30 seconds on each sides until lightly golden. Don’t overcook it! shrimp will taste like rubber if left for a long time! Set them aside on paper towel to drain excess oil.

Dusting with the flour
Dunk in the batter
Hot Oil
Fry 'em several at a time, i'm going with 3
After 30 seconds, flip
Golden Brown perfection!

Step 4 – Mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice and the condensed milk, and throw the shrimps in for a bathe of sticky-sweet-savory concoction!

Condensed Milk
Mayonnaise
Lemon Juice
Finished Product
Pour
Drizzle

Step 5 – Serve



Ah yesh!!! This dish will definitely steal the attention! Eat this with a serving of heartwarming hot white rice, with a side of your favorite vegetables!

Give this a try, and let me know the results!

Peace

xx



No comments:

Post a Comment