Sunday, November 23, 2014

058 - CREPES!

Welcome back people!

Phew, it’s been 2 weeks since my last post. Sorry for going A.W.O.L, I just can’t resist a cheap return ticket to Singapore on board the fabulous Air France! Yes sir, I got a USD 160 return trip with their newly retrofitted Boeing 777-300ER. Which, in short, is F*CKING AWESOME!

I’ve published my report about the flight here, but since this is food blog, let me talk to you about their meal. They served a three course meal in one plate. 

This is the best i could manage that night. Not bad, eh?

First one I tried is this cabbage/cucumber salad with lemon dressing topped with (a rather dry) grilled chicken. Thank God for the dressing, totally saved me from bad experience with the chicken. Second was a bread roll (I think it was wheat), paired with Camembert cheese. Cheese was off the shelves, so nothing there to complaint about. Last was a lemon-sugar cake. It was so sweet; I don’t think I can finish it. But thank God for the Coffee (now this one is delicious!), the bitterness counteract the sweetness perfectly.

Anyway, that story doesn't have anything to do with today’s recipe.

Let’s make some CREPES!

====================

For 4-6 piece of crepes (depending on your size), you will need:



1 Cup of Flour
2 Eggs
Pinch of Salt
1 Cup of Cold Milk
2 Tbsp of Melted Butter/Margarine
(optional) 1 Tbsp of Vanilla Extract

====================

Ready? Here We Go!

Step 1 – Grab a large mixing bowl and proceed to crack your eggs. Grab a whisk and start stirring gently to mix.




Step 2 – Slowly pour the melted Butter/Margarine in. Once that’s done, do the same with the milk. Slow and steady. Gentle like the night. Don’t go it to quick, or else it won’t combine, and might separate.




Step 3 – Add the salt (and vanilla extract if you want), gently stir to combine.




Step 4 – Add the flour, a little at a time. Use the whisk slowly to avoid it from making a mess in your kitchen (at this point, 4 out of 5 of you probably done a little mess already :p)




Step 5 – Now, this is optional, but I like my batter to be lump free and as smooth as Scarlett Johansson’s tummy. So what do I do? I grabbed a fine strainer (mine turned out to be flour sifter), and run the batter through it. The results were a feast for the eyes. A lovely lump-free batter ready for the pan!




Step 6 – Heat your non-stick pan on medium high heat. Remember, non-stick is necessity for crepes, regular pan just don’t cut it. You don’t need to grease your pan, because the batter is not sticky at all. Once it’s hot, quickly pour your batter. Now, you probably wander how much would you need right? For this one, I use my ½ cup sized measurement cup to ensure standard shape of the final product.




Step 7 – Watch the pan, when you see holes forming, it’s almost done. I ended up cooking the first side for about 1,5 minute, and the other for 1 minute. Once it’s done, line the plate with paper towels between each crepes to avoid it from sticking.



Step 8 – Serve!



I love crepes. Seriously love ‘em! I can eat them for breakfast all day.
The great thing about Crepes is that there are no limit on how one would enjoy it. With powdered sugar and lemon? Check. Nutella? Check. Maple Syrup? Check. Crème Fraiche? Check. ANYTHING!

Give this a go, and let me know how it turns out. Either comment here or tag me on Instagram (my username is @gilangshanahan btw).

Cheers

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment